Vodafone Ireland Foundation – Working to keep children safe by keeping them connected
In 2016 the Vodafone Ireland Foundation announced a strategic partnership with ISPCC Childline with the joint vision of working towards ‘keeping children safe by keeping them connected.’ ISPCC is the national child protection charity in Ireland and answers over 400,000 calls each year.
Through the partnership Vodafone has committed to covering the cost of all calls into the service until 2025, as well as donating €2m from the Foundation over 5 years.
The four key pillars we have committed to supporting are:
- Technology – to help Childline build a new digital platform.
- Internet safety – to support Childline’s mission of educating and protecting children in the online world.
- Brand & Comms – to help increase awareness of ISPCC Childline with children across Ireland.
- Internal Engagement – to encourage our employees to support the partnership using their skills and fundraising.
"For every child that reaches us, there are many more who cannot. This partnership enables us to give every child the connection they need, when and where they need it most"
Head of Ireland's leading child safety charity, ISPCC
Helping parents to keep children safer - read more
In December 2016, ISPCC and Vodafone hosted a Cyber Safety Conference in Dublin. The aim of this conference was to invite policy makers, industry practitioners, academics and others involved in child protection and online safety to discuss worrying trends in how online activity could be putting children and young people at risk.
The invitation-only conference included a working group, bringing together representatives from major technology companies and leading experts with the purpose of developing a framework to advise parents on how to help keep their children safer online.
The output of this framework is a set of ‘Recommendations for Parents’ outlined below. This framework is being launched for Safer Internet Day.
- Build trust with your child to understand their online activity
- Educate yourself and your child to the online world
- Communication is key - establish an open dialogue with your child
- Utilise safety features already in place
- Technology - embrace the benefits
- Eyes open - keep an eye out for any changes in your child's behaviour
Read more about keeping your children safer online in our information sheet for parents here
Learn more about handset recycling
As part of our ongoing handset recycling programme, we are proud to be working with the ISPCC.
How does it work?
There's an estimated €4.5 million worth of phones stashed away Irish homes, which could be used to help fund the valuable work of the ISPCC.
How? It's easy - you donate your old handset and we donate its value to the ISPCC.
Where to donate your handset
- In handset recycling bins at your local Vodafone store
- At work order a handset recycling bin for your office
Where does the money go?
All money raised through our handset recycling programme will fund the ISPCC.