General top up and account FAQs
My Vodafone app
The quickest and easiest way to top up is through the My Vodafone app. Here you can top up, check balance and much more while on the go.
Free call or text
You can do a quick top up by speaking to one of our agents on 1741 option 2. While on the call, you can also opt to save your card details so that you can top up by text.
Once this is done, simply text 'TOPUP' followed by the top up amount and last 4 digits of your registered payment card to 50277. (e.g. TOPUP 30 1234 to top up by €30)
You can also top up online or at any ATM with the following banks:
You can buy a top up voucher at any one of over 7,500 retailers nationwide as well as in any Vodafone Store.
I'm having issues topping up
No confirmation text received
If you have topped up and didn't get your top up confirmation text instantly, don’t worry this message is sometimes delayed. This doesn't mean your top up has not been successful. Please check again later.
With system improvements over the coming months, this message will become instantaneous.
Issues with top up voucher
If you are having issues with your top up voucher, ensure you have entered the 13 digit number correctly. If you are still having issues then you should request a new code from a retail store or customer care agent.
If you are still having issues, please connect with our live chat team by clicking the Chat button on this screen.
How long is top up credit valid?
When you top up, you can make calls for 6 months and receive calls for 8 months. After 8 months your call credit will expire.
Once you top up, all previous credit (even expired credit) becomes valid.
- For example, if you go 6 months without topping up but have €5.00 credit left, you won't be able to make calls
- But if you then top up by €10.00, all €15.00 of your credit will be available for making calls over the next 6 months
My number/account isn't working - 6+ months since last top up
If you have not topped up your credit in 6 months or more, you need to take action to prevent your Pay as you go mobile number from being disconnected due to inactivity.
You may have received some texts from Vodafone indicating that you need to top up. Your account may also have been marked as inactive within My Vodafone. If so, the below information will tell you what to do.
- 6 months after the last top up - you'll get a text advising that you'd need to top up within 7 days to keep your service active
- 6 months and 7 days after last top up - outgoing calls and texts will be deactivated, incoming services stay active
- 8 months after last top up - you'll get another text advising of impending disconnection if you do not top up in the next 7 days
- 8 months and 7 days after last top up - your number will be disconnected, but can be reactivated at any time within the following 6 months. Please contact us via the Chat button on screen and we will be happy to assist you with this
- 14 months after last top up - your number is recycled and cannot be returned to you
If you still need help, please connect with our customer care team by clicking the Chat button on this screen, or contact us on 1747 .
Can I get my friend to top me up?
Top Me Up
With Vodafone Top Me Up, there's always someone who'll give you credit. All you need are family or friends on a Vodafone bill pay price plan. They can top you up online or by text at any time. It's quick, it's easy and it's free.
I'm on pay as you go - how do I get credit sent to me?
- To get credit from a family member or friend, on a Vodafone bill pay price plan, all you have to do is text their number to 50228.
- The person you're asking will receive a text from you, that reads 'Please Top Me Up'.
- They can then top you up by texting your number, followed by a space and the amount they want to top you up with, to 50228. For example, if your number is 0877654321 and they want to top you up by €20, their reply text will be: 0877654321 20. They will need to send their reply text within 24 hours of receiving your request.
- They will receive a three-digit PIN code from 50228.
- To confirm the top up, they text this PIN code back to 50228.
- The credit is automatically added to your mobile and you will both receive a text confirming this. All texts involved in Vodafone Top Me Up are free.
Terms and conditions apply.
How can I get IOU credit?
Never get stuck without credit. Here's how:
Vodafone IOU & Super IOU
With Vodafone IOU, you can get a €2 or €4 boost of credit to keep you going until the next time you top up. So when you get that punctured tyre or absolutely have to respond to that special someone... you can! The next time you top up, you'll be charged for the amount of the IOU you used plus 15c for a €2 IOU or 30c for a €4 Super IOU.
How do I get it?
- Text IOU to 50223 and receive €2 credit instantly!
- Text SUPER to 50223 and receive €4 credit instantly!
View terms and conditions for IOU Credit.
How much does it cost to use data on my phone?
How much are call charges with Pay as you go price plans?
The best way to check your price plan, and to find out how much you're being charged, is to register your account on My Vodafone.
My Vodafone allows you view your pay as you go call charges and to check or change your price plan.
Alternatively, you can find out more about Pay as you go price plans in the sales brochure pages of our site.
International Top Up Offer Countries
With the Vodafone Pay as you go international top up offer you can call any of the following countries:
Why can't I use IOU Buddy?
The IOU Buddy service has now been discontinued.
You can still make sure you never get stuck without credit by using Vodafone IOU and Super IOU.
How do I let Vodafone know about a bereavement?
Auto top up FAQs
How does auto top up work?
Auto top up works by taking the chosen amount of credit from the debit or credit card you set up, on your chosen day to top up your pay as you go account.
This then activates your top up offer if you top up by the correct amount i.e. €20 for Chat Extra, Smart Extra and VFX or €30 for Extra.
How to set up auto top up?
Using the My Vodafone app:
The easiest way to set up auto top up is on the My Vodafone app. Simply click the auto top up icon in the 'Essentials section of the home screen. From here, you will be asked to confirm the details of the top up.
Online on Vodafone.ie
In order to set up auto top up online, you must first be registered to My Vodafone.
- Click 'Top up'
- Select 'Top up' and offers
- If you don't have a payment card saved, click 'Manage your cards' first to add a card
- Next choose 'Saved numbers and scheduled top ups'
- Click 'Set up a payment schedule for this number'
- From here you can select how much to top up the number by, add your credit or debit card, the frequency of the top up and the start date of the top up
What amount, start date and frequency should I choose?
If you are on the Vodafone X, Smart Extra or Chat Extra tariffs, you will need to top up by €20 or more every 28 days to activate your tariff. If you are on Extra you will need to top up by €30 or more every 28 days.
To avoid starting auto top up during your current top up offer you can log in to My Vodafone where it will tell you how many days until your current offer is due to reset. It is best to align the start date with when your offer is due to reset.
What if need more credit?
If you need more credit you can still top up as usual. Please note this will not delay your next auto top up date.
If you top up by your plan amount this will reactivate your top up offer so it is recommended that if you need more credit you should top up by less than your plan amount in one go (e.g. €5/€10).
How do I change or cancel my auto top up?
Using the My Vodafone app:
Log into the My Vodafone app
- Click the 'Essentials' section
- Click on 'Set up an automatic top up'
- From here you will be able to set up a new automatic top up and edit or delete an existing top up
Online on Vodafone.ie:
Log in to My Vodafone
- Click 'Top up'
- Select 'Top up and offers'
- Choose the tab 'Saved numbers and scheduled top ups'
- Click the 'Edit' option on the right hand side of the page
- From here you can change the amount, frequency or starting date of the top up
- You can also delete the scheduled top up there
Can I top up another number using auto top up?
Yes you can set up other numbers as well as your own. Log into My Vodafone on the Vodafone.ie website, select My saved numbers & scheduled top ups and add new number.
If you are using the My Vodafone app, in the Essentials section select, set an automatic top up, under my number select edit and input the name and number of the number you wish to add. This must be a Vodafone prepay number. Once you submit the new number will be displayed and you can set an auto top up for that number.